WITH LATEST UPDATES OF COVID-19, THIS WORKSHOP HAS BEEN CANCELLED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING.
Much of the issues involved in medical ethics revolve around the issue of illness and the preservation of life. As palliative care deals with patients and families at the transitions of care, issues surrounding medical ethics become more common. There is increasing public discussion in areas such as withholding and withdrawal of treatment, mental capacity, medical futility and physician assisted suicide and euthanasia. Those involved in palliative care should be aware of both ethical issues as well as the clinical evidence that should guide their practice.This workshop deals with many of the ethical issues in palliative care mainly through case discussions.
Our invited facilitators are:
- Associate Professor Ghauri Aggarwal – Head of Palliative Care Department, Concord Hospital, Sydney, Australia
- Dr Linda Sheahan – Palliative Care Physician and Clinical Ethics Consultant for South Eastern Sydney Local Health District (SESLHD)
- Sumytra Menon – Senior Assistant Director at the Centre for Biomedical Ethics (CBmE)
The two (2) day workshop will cover the following areas:
- The place of ethics in palliative care
- Evaluating an ethical case
- Ethical communication : collusion, consent and confidentiality
- Withdrawing and withholding treatment
- Medical futility
- The ‘difficult patient’
- Physician assisted suicide
- Advanced medical directive and advanced care planning
- Palliative sedation
- Ethics at the end of life
Hospis Malaysia Auditorium (Level 1) – 2 Jalan 4/96, Off Jalan Sekuci 56100 Cheras, Kuala Lumpur
|Registration Fees||Normal||International||APHN Members|
|Doctors||RM300||USD100||RM230 / USD75|
|Nurses / Allied Healthcare,Professional||RM250||USD80||RM180/USD60|
Method of payment:
- Cheque/postal order/money order/government local order payable to “Hospis Malaysia”
- Direct remittance to “Hospis Malaysia” to Maybank Account No: 5141 3212 1211, Cheras Branch, Taman Midah. Kindly email the bank slip to email@example.com for our tracking purpose.
- Overseas Telegraphic Transfer(TT) to “Hospis Malaysia” (Maybank Account No: 5141 3212 1211, Cheras Branch, Taman Midah). Swift Code: MBBEMYKL
*Date is subject to change*
For further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org , or please contact 03 – 9133 3936 (ext:204).